Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Parents

I spent the weekend with my parents. My husband was there too. They discovered that he is saving to go to the US. They knew this conceptually.... but they didn't understand that ALL of his earnings are going towards his trip. I have been supporting my husband for several years now. My parents think that its unfair that he is working and saving ALL his money and not sharing any of it with me given that I have been looking after him for so long.

My mother did this in the least tactful way possible. She expressed her disappointment at my husband and told him what she thought he should be doing. My father rang me tonight, hoping that I wouldn't be home when he rang, and told me that he is also horrified, but that was his opinion, and he understood that my husband and I have sorted out and arrangement. I went throught the arrangement briefly with my father. Basically, when my husband's studies are finished and he is working full time, I get to do those things I want to do and that I thought that my husband's trip to the US and the saving he is doing is an important part of his recovery from his depression.

Yes the trip is selfish... but if he could have earnt the money, I would be going too. Not that I want to go to the US.

For me its really about the fact that my husband is working and sticking to it despite the ups and downs. What he does with the money is not really an issue. I do earn enough for both of us... when we reign in our spending. And I expect that my husband will "pay me back" in the future.

My parents may have my interests at heart, or what they think my interests are, but I don't have any problems at all in supporting my husband financially. I like working, I like being needed. When I get to return to study and become a mother, then my husband can be the breadwinner.